So last year in a desperate attempt to come up with an end of year blog post, I wrote about a few of my favorite things. It was a huge hit and I got a ton of e-mails so I’ve decided that laziness came early this year and I would send a few of my favorite things a bit early. In no particular order – drum roll please…
1. The only sales book I ever recommend, Daniel Pink’s, To Sell is Human. Pink really does treat sales with more thought, study, and elegance than anyone I know; rather than the standard flash, slick antiquated phrases, Pink’s book has depth. Please also feel free to buy 100 copies of How I Created a Dollar Out of Thin Air. It’s not a sales book but I did write it so I feel compelled to shamelessly plug it in this list. And If you buy 500 copies I will come and take you to lunch. *Proof of purchase required.
I probably look at UpWorthy once a day and sometimes more. It’s filled with inspiring stories about seemingly ordinary people being extraordinary. It costs NOTHING but gives you hope in humanity, nudges you to be a better human and forces you to do away with excuses and go out into the world and do something! It’s because of all those incredible people that I am humbly working on several projects to make the world a little better. Do yourself a favor and watch it every now and again. Here’s a favorite of mine that I originally saw on UpWorthy. http://bit.ly/1aMY97I
If you watch this whole thing and don’t cry, then go and get your heart and tear ducts examined immediately! You’re probably a rock.
3. If you love tea or know a tea drinker, I highly recommend Marco Polo by http://bit.ly/1aSOknZ by Mariage Freres. This tea is completely delicious and special and I promise this company doesn’t even know who I am so I get nothing for saying this. I’m a big fan of useable gifts for people like special tea, wine, honey or stationary that they might not buy for them selves but is really special.
4. If you have a party or event in San Diego I HIGHLY recommend this photo booth company epodphotobooth.com. I can’t tell you how much joy this brought people at my book launch and equally important, the people who own this company are really fine human beings. I love a business with a soul. I was truly astonished at just how much fun and connection this brought to my event.
5. Socrates Seminars at the Aspen Institute. Several years ago I attended a seminar on privacy and the Internet. It was truly phenomenal. If you want to work out your brain with extraordinarily accomplished people in a beautiful setting. Take the time to attend. It’s a great gift to yourself.
6. Small acts of recognition. Think about taking the time to write a recommendation on LinkedIn- I mean a thoughtful, well written one that truly expresses your gratitude. Send someone a framed copy of an article they published, nominate someone for an award; be creative but make an effort to reach out to people in small, meaningful ways.
7. Under REALLY special gifts I recommend and am deeply in love with designer Sarah Drake who designs family crests for clients. This is a gift that will be passed down for generations to come. This is a beautiful personal gift that will never be forgotten and endure over time and is beautiful gift for families, parents or couples getting married. sarahdrakedesign.com/crest/
8. Last year my very favorite Pandora station was Pink Martini. I have to confess that I think that’s still true. However, another favorite is Eartha Kitt. GRRRROWL. She is such an original and I do so love originals.
9. For foodie friends who love cheese plates, tea or oatmeal, nothing is more fabulous than golden honey. Getting a gift from Bee Raw is pure amber decadence. It’s a great family gift because everyone can enjoy honey – unless they’re allergic in which case they can regift it to a non- allergic family. beeraw.com/gifts
10. Be original. I’m a fan of original artwork. There are no posters in my house. Scour your city for new artists and start collecting their work or sharing it with others as a gift. You’d be surprised at the beautiful, affordable work you can find. There’s nothing like supporting an artist and having something that no one else in the world owns complete with a story that you can share.
Now that I’ve shared a few of my favorite things, I would love for you to share a few of your best resources, gifts, and indulgences. Maybe I can eke out another blog post with all of your ideas!