We’ve all been there. You’re uninspired, unmotivated, irritated and spending your free time surfing the web for apartments in Paris or tree houses in the jungle. You’re not alone. If you feel stuck and bored then here are some things that can help you move forward.
1. Take responsibility for where you are. This can be very difficult, but at the end of the day, we are responsible for our happiness and success. Think about what you’re currently tolerating. What change can YOU make to improve your situation? When you come from a place of power and responsibility, you have a whole lot more options. If you feel uncertain then get some input from friends, colleagues or an expert. Find the resource that can get you closer to what you want. Being at the mercy of circumstances is a passive and difficult way to live. I have overcome some enormous challenges personally and professionally by asking, “what next?” instead of “why me?” Changing those two words can dramatically change your life.
2. Do something for someone else. I have found that when I’m consumed with my own circumstances the best thing I can do is help someone who is struggling. It gives me perspective and provides a healthy distraction giving me more energy to approach my own challenges.
3. Give yourself some time. I work for myself so if I decide to fly to New York tomorrow I can, but getting on a plane isn’t the only way to get away. A simple overnight at a really nice local hotel can give you space to clear your head, relax, and refocus. One night can be a great gift to yourself. Don’t wait to take a vacation. Take time when you need it.
4. Do something for yourself that you’ve been putting off. If you’ve been wanting to take a Portuguese class, write your memoir or start meditating, then start. Find a way to carve out the space. If you have more excuses than reasons, make a new decision. When I’ve taken the time to feed my brain and spirit my work and relationships have both benefitted
5. Watch a film, read a book, listen to music or go to a play to inspire you. Getting out of your daily ritual and filling your life with a bit of inspiration can be transformational. When I’m feeling particularly dull I pick up Billy Collins’ poetry, watch a few TED talks, put my feet in the ocean and listen to some great music. A bit of inspiration can energize you and motivate you to move past those rough moments.